Edge Racing Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front Home PageFront Home Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.

Go down 
+2
ommeh
minix3
6 posters
AuthorMessage
minix3
P Plater
P Plater
minix3

Female
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-23

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Empty
PostSubject: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

I am sick of reading the "pic is too blue, red, green, purple etc". Plus it just makes the car/cars look so much better.
Yes, I am aware you can read my msn convo but I cbf to edit it out, and I also am aware that there is other ways of doing this but for the people who are new to photoshop here is a quick guide.
Step 1; Auto levels, auto colour, auto contrast. [in that order preferably]

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture1

Step 2; If the colour and contrast still aren't right, go into Image-> Adjustments->Colour Balance or Brightness/contrast.

If the pic is too blue, slide the bar away from the blue and towards yellow.

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture2

Step 3; Open up Curves. It is under Auto colour so it is Image->Adjustment->Curves... and you will get this;

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture4

Step 4; Curves will do a lot but for the purpose of a 20 sec tutorial, draw an "S". A more severe "S" will give a more dynamic image. See pictures in relation to the S;

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture5
Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture6

Step 5; If there is lighting that may be a little over powering, this is a cheating way of making it duller. First, create a new layer;

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture7

Step 6; Make sure the colour is on black [top] and white [bottom] (See "A"). Select the Gradient tool (see B), and make sure the gradient bar is from Black to clear (see "C"). Draw a line across the pic [always starting from an edge], going from the light to the center of the pic. The length of this line you draw and such will have to depend on the picture. I usually go from the edge to the center but brighter pics may require a greater Gradient. In this example, see "D".

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture8

Step 7; Change the layer's "blending mode" from Normal to "Overlay" (See "E"). Then, change the Opacity down (see"F") according to what you think works with the picture. In this pic I think I used about 50%.

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. Picture10

Then you are done. Muck around with the setting to suit the picture but here is the final product of the pic that you all said was "too blue".

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. 3317737001_a1a1c15e41

Last edited by minix3 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ommeh
Race Car Driver
Race Car Driver
ommeh

Male
Number of posts : 817
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 pm

hehe u use mac~

Nice write up~
Back to top Go down
EDGE-Racing
Admin
Admin
EDGE-Racing

Male
Number of posts : 4009
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 12:34 am

very nice write up..im gonna sticky this..=D
Back to top Go down
http://edge-racing.net
harveyjai
Formula One Driver
Formula One Driver
harveyjai

Male
Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 am

good work, credit to you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scathing
Full Licence
Full Licence
scathing

Male
Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 am

I have one other suggestion, and that is sharpening. This is especially useful on point-and-shoot cameras, where the optics aren't as good as a SLR. What it does is focus the shot, and is good if you're slightly out of focus but has benefits even if your photo looks OK.

The thing about sharpening is that it should be done in stages. Never sharpen an image at your desired output resolution, as it makes the pic look weird. This is what an image that was sharpened only at 640x480 looks like:

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. My350z_20050730_te37_01

After you do all of Carmen's suggestions and you're ready to re-size the image down to whatever you publish at, click Filter -> Sharpen -> Sharpen.

When its done, you'll notice that the image looks a bit more in focus. Then re-size (Image -> Image Size) and choose a resolution slightly smaller than what you have.

For my example, I will assume you have a 6 megapixel camera, with a resolution of 3072x2000, and you're looking at shrinking it down to 800x600.

Reduce your image width to 2700 pixels. Photoshop should maintain your aspect ratio, and adjust the height accordingly. Sharpen again. Repeat 1-2 more times.

Depending on your camera and the shot you took, 3 sharpens is enough.

When you've done all your sharpens, then re-size the image to 800x600.

What rate you should reduce by for each sharpen isn't a hard-and-fast rule. It'll depend on the camera, and your shots, so experiment.

One warning.

When you're learning how your camera's photos are best sharpened, just do a few, then size the image to your output size. Undo it, sharpen one more time, and resize the image to your output size again. You'll find that, at a certain number of sharpens, your output image looks bad.

For example, look at this pic:

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. My350z_20070318_melbourne_09

See how it looks grainy? Too much sharpening. It's not as bad as the first shot, but its still pretty bad.

I should have undid my last sharpen (or maybe even last 2) and saved that image again. Back it off a bit, and it's not as bad:

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. My350z_20071013_night_12

To be honest, even this second pic is a touch too sharpened (there's a bit of graininess on the bodywork) but its a lot smoother than the first one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.au-z.org/
JaCe
Formula One Driver
Formula One Driver
JaCe

Male
Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Does this guide work on non-autofocus cameraphones? loljkjk
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/jace.88
scathing
Full Licence
Full Licence
scathing

Male
Number of posts : 450
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 am

It does, actually. Smile It work for any photo.

I've found a bit of colour balancing and sharpening has paid off dividends on press photos released by OEMs to news sites.
Back to top Go down
http://www.au-z.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.   Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carmen's guide to a 20 second photoshop of cars.
Page 1 of 1